Pages

Friday 5 July 2013

Hobby Aids

Welcome to another Friday here at Something Wicked. I have decided to actually start planning my Blog entries and as such Sun/Mon will now feature my hobby updates (once a week is more than enough given the pace I work at sometimes) and then Friday's article will be on another Hobby Related Topic. So without further ado let me introduce the Topic of today's post; Hobby Aids in all their various forms and majestic glory.

This is a very interesting Topic and one that I recently discussed with Matt from over on Ex Instinctu Imperator. The reason I have chosen this topic is simple- I was prompted by the recent purchase of my iPad. Now I know I will suffer eternal damnation for willingly giving money to Apple, however I think it was worth it.

Of course the first thing any reasonable Hobbyists does once they have been assimilated by Apple (Resistance is Futile!) is to start looking at how this magnificent shiny device can improve their Hobbying! So for today I am just going to share a few of the pieces I have found.

First of all Quartermaster Army List Writer



This thing is amazing! The couple of quid it cost me are nothing and it is so easy and simple to find templates that have been put together. I already have put some of my more common Army Builds together in the favourite lists section for future use. To look at the product itself then. I like the interface, it is pretty self explanatory and easy to build units up with the wargear you want. Another function is the ability to just duplicate a unit you have already made (a spammers dream)!




Next we will look at something that is from Games Workshop. I spent a bit of time perusing what was available and then plumped for the How To Paint: Eldar guide.

 I was dubious because it is £10 but I must say that I am not disapponted. It covers various units (from memory it does Guardians, Wraithguard, Hemlock Wraithfighter, Wraithknight and Yriel) and each of these is done in a step by step guide. At the end of each section is a selection of other colour schemes along with all the paints that you would use following the methods covered (oh and Fire Dragons they are in there). I will definitely be looking at more of these in future, possibly the Tau one next. And the fact they are on my iPad just makes it easier for me as I am not flicking through countless pages hunting for that one specific bit.


This next one comes courtesy of Matt who,as I mentioned earlier, is running his own blog and we frequently have many a hobby related discussion (go follow that link to his Blog!). We also get the odd game in and this is something that will be looked at in future (the same battle report told from our respective sides). Anyway to get back to the current topic He mentioned how much he likes the psychic power cards. I completely agree with this one and in I am going to quote him-  "particularly for the Blessing/Malediction powers where you can just mark out the unit affected with the card". This is a perfect example of the versatility of the design, while a fantastic aid for reminding yourself what powers characters have, they can then double as markers for units that are being targeted by certain powers. It's makes me think maybe I should look into that Psychic Powers app that's out there...

Also on one final note, it would be remiss of me to not at least mention our old hobby faithful...


No comments:

Post a Comment